What are beetles?
Beetles are everywhere and can live successfully inside and outside our homes. They vary in size, eating habits, preferred habitats, and appearance. Being one of the most common insects with thousands upon thousands of species worldwide, they are a pest every home and business owner should be familiar with.
The biggest identifying feature of the beetle is the first pair of hardened wings that protect the second pair of fragile wings. The hardened wings meet in the middle of the body, forming a distinctive line.
Below are examples of beetles that regularly invade Northern California properties:
- Carpet beetles come in various colors and mottled patterns, including red, black, yellow, and white. The body of a carpet beetle is very similar to a ladybug.
- Warehouse beetles are oval-shaped with a combination of dark and light mottled patterns on the wing covers.
- Darkling beetles never have colored markings and are solid black or dark brown. Their wings are fused, and these beetles are incapable of flight. They can be a round or oval shaped.
Are beetles dangerous?
Beetles can be dangerous, and depending on the species, they can feed on and damage plants, wood, rugs, fabrics, natural fibers, stored foods, and more.
The larvae are the stage of development that causes the most damage when beetles are present in our homes. The adult females lay their eggs on a suitable food source, and when the larvae hatch, they begin feeding on, contaminating, and damaging the provided food.
Why do I have a beetle problem?
Beetles are a problem inside your Sacramento home either because the adults found a way indoors after being attracted by lights or because they were brought in on something infested with their eggs or larvae.
These pests regularly hang out in dark, quiet areas of a home which means it can take some time before noticing them, giving them the chance to cause major damage.
Where are beetles commonly found?
Beetles infest multiple areas inside our homes, including kitchens, pantries, closets, carpets, and storage boxes.
Warehouse beetles are a common problem inside warehouses and food processing facilities. Inside our homes, they infest wool clothing and carpets, in addition to stored pantry items like grains, cereals, dried fruit, and cereals.
Darkling beetles will attack and contaminate grains and produce inside our homes. Outside, they feed on a variety of things like crops, fungi, and excrement.
How do I get rid of beetles?
If you find adult beetles, their larvae, or signs of their presence in your home, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at Defender Termite & Pest Management. Our professionals will work with you and rid your Northern California property of destructive beetles.
With our year-round pest control services and regular service visits, we can rid your property of beetles and keep them from returning in the future. Our safe pest control solutions and fast action ensure that our customer’s pest problems are solved. For home and business owners looking for dependable and effective pest control services in Sacramento, call Defender Termite & Pest today!
How can I prevent beetles in the future?
Prevent future problems with beetles using the following easy to accomplish prevention tips:
- Replace white outdoor bulbs with yellow or LED bulbs which are less attractive to beetles and other insects.
- Make sure weatherstripping is intact around windows and doors to help keep adult beetles from finding a way inside.
- Regularly vacuum and dust your home to eliminate pet hair, human hair, dust, and other unnecessary debris beetles could use as a food source.
- Don’t purchase stored products from the grocery store with holes or rips in the packaging.
- Store foods in the pantry or kitchen in hard-sided, airtight containers, not their original packaging.
- Use plastic containers with airtight, locking lids to store blankets, clothing, and other fabric items instead of cardboard boxes that beetles can easily access.