What are bed bugs?
Flat, reddish-brown, oval-shaped insects, bed bugs are pests that feed solely on the blood of their hosts. Human blood is a bed bug's favorite food source, but other warm-blooded animals like dogs, cats, and rodents will do in a pinch! Bed bugs create common pest problems because they have adapted to living indoors with people and hitchhike from place to place on us or our belongings. Since bed bugs live inside of our temperature-controlled structures, they are pests that are active year-round and a constant threat to our homes and businesses.
Are bed bugs dangerous?
Though bed bugs don't spread diseases or damage structures like other pests, they are always unwelcome in our homes. While bed bugs may not be dangerous, they are problematic for several different reasons.
- People who are allergic to bed bug saliva will develop raised, itchy rashes around the bite sites.
- Knowing that bed bugs have found their way into your house will lead to feelings of unease and sleepless nights.
- Their feces and feeding habits cause stains on upholstered furniture, bedding, mattresses, and box springs.
- A large infestation can produce an unpleasant, musty odor in a home they have invaded.
Why do I have a bed bug problem?
Just a few bed bugs finding their way into your home can quickly lead to a large-scale infestation as these insects multiple rapidly. It is also important to understand that a bed bug infestation can happen in any home. There is no structure immune to these hitchhiking pests; they move where we take them.
Where will I find bed bugs?
The most likely areas to find bed bugs are public locations like airports, hotels, movie theaters, schools, hospitals, and other places where large groups and people come and go each day.
After bed bugs hitchhike their way into a home, they choose hideouts close to where we sleep. Some of their favorite resting spots include the seams of mattresses, upholstered furniture, behind wall hangings, cracks in footboards and headboards, outlets, and under piles of dirty laundry or other clutter.
How do I get rid of bed bugs?
If you suspect you have a bed bug problem, trust the professionals at Defender Termite & Pest Management to work with you to rid your Northern California property of bed bugs. Through our thorough inspection and comprehensive bed bug services, we will completely rid your property of these unwanted, blood-feeding pests.
Win the war on pests like bed bugs with the help of Defender Termite & Pest Management. For home and business owners looking for dependable and effective pest control services in Sacramento, reach out and give us a call today.
How can I prevent bed bugs in the future?
Prevent future problems with bed bugs using the following easy to accomplish prevention tips:
- Regularly inspect your sleeping areas for bed bugs.
- Vacuum your floors and upholstered furniture routinely to pick up stray bed bugs before they have the chance to multiply.
- Reduce the clutter in your home where bed bugs can hide.
- After returning home from traveling, make sure to immediately wash and dry your clothing and clean out suitcases before storing them away.
- Take care when purchasing used items, especially mattresses and upholstered furniture that could be hiding bed bugs. Avoid used items or at least thoroughly clean them before bringing them inside.