Are Overwintering Pests An Issue For Sacramento Homeowners?
October 15, 2021 - Winter Pests
Most pests are overwintering pests. This is because most pests hate the cold. As temperatures drop here in Sacramento, many bugs, rodents, and wildlife will be looking to homes in our area as potential shelter sites. To make sure your Sacramento home is protected when overwintering pests come knocking, here are some things you should consider today.
What Pests Invade Homes During The Fall?
Overwintering pest invasion typically starts during the late fall. The main reason pests invade homes during this time is to get out of the cold. Keeping this in mind, here are three of the most common overwintering pests in our area and what problems they cause inside area homes.
There is nothing a rodent loves more than to be comfortable. Although these furry pests are year-round home invaders, they tend to come inside more as the temperatures drop. Rodents cause problems for homeowners in three ways. They are dangerous, they are destructive, and they are annoying. They are dangerous because of the many disease-causing organisms they carry. They are destructive because of the way they gnaw on things constantly. Finally, they are annoying with the way they scamper and make noise inside homes late at night.
Cockroaches are another pest that invades homes year-round but regularly during the fall and winter months. These creepy pests get into homes in various ways and can even crawl in through utility piping. The most common problems cockroaches cause involve spreading disease, triggering asthma attacks, and destroying property with their voracious eating habits.
Stink bugs are a good example of a pest in our area that exclusively invades homes during the fall and winter months. Considered to be agricultural pests in the summer, these smelly bugs flock to the side of homes to soak up sunlight the colder it gets. After getting into homes, the biggest problem stink bugs cause is with the pungent odor they release when squished. These pests are also incredibly annoying.
How To Prevent Overwintering Pests
Because overwintering pests vary so much in size and behavior, a lot is required to keep them out of your home. If you are up for the task, here is everything you need to know to keep unwanted house pests outside where they belong:
- Install a fence around your garden and yard.
- Mow your lawn once a week and regularly trim your bushes and landscaping.
- Trim back tree branches and bushes to form a five-foot dry zone around your home’s exterior.
- Use a caulking gun to seal off holes, gaps, and cracks in the exterior foundation of your home.
- Install door sweeps under exterior doors.
- Repair damage to window and door screens.
- Make sure your home’s weatherstripping is in good working order.
- Thoroughly clean your living areas once a week and address messes as they occur.
- Store leftover food inside an airtight container.
- Clean out your trash cans regularly and make sure they have tight-fitting lids.
- Reduce the clutter in and around your home.
- Repair leaky faucets and pipes.
- Use a dehumidifier indoors.
- Clean out your gutters seasonally and make sure they are in good condition.
If you do not have the time or energy to prevent overwintering pests on your own, you should consider investing in professional pest control. At Defender Termite and Pest Management, we offer simple and affordable options to identify, eliminate, and control a wide range of local pests. Call us today to get a quote or to hear about our pest control services in Sacramento.